Monday, April 30, 2012

Palate Pleasing Pizza

Pizza is one of those foods that even when bad, is still good. So why not try and make it at home? The worst you can end up with is good if you consider it to be bad. Do you follow?

What really gets me is how expensive a delivery pizza is, considering the ingredients used. We aren't talking about fontina cheese, truffle oil, and a farm fresh egg on this pie. Just some mediocre pepperoni and mozzarella that is uber processed.

So my dear reader, are you ready to erase that pizza delivery place from your cell? I know you can do it! Now now, I understand that half the beauty of a pizza night is the convenience. I'm not denying that making your own pizza from start to finish will be more work. But I can assure you that you will feel better about what you are eating and maybe you will be a little inspired by all the topping choices. If you're still on the fence, I'll do you a solid and recommend you pick up some pre-made dough. We aren't talking that already cooked stuff, I want you to roll it out yourself. It won't be that hard after it comes to room temperature.

Maybe you are the type of person that doesn't mind whipping up dough. If so, Food and Wine has a bunch of great crust recipes. I've tried several and they all seem to be good. One time I got the perfect bubbles and I was so giddy. Of course, I couldn't remember how I made it, so it hasn't happened again.

Last week Josh and I made one of our favorite at-home pizzas topped with marinara mixed with a little adobo sauce, onion (we normally use red, but only had yellow), smoked mozzarella, sliced garlic, and this time, some sliced red peppers. If I have a couple extra minutes, I often roast the red pepper for a smokier flavor.

This is what I'm talking about people! A pizza like that would cost about $16 in our area and I just used what was leftover in my fridge. Be creative and get some great cheese, your taste buds will thank you.

Check out Mark Bittman's view on homemade pizza for even more inspiration. Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment